Directors Roundtables Offer Answers to Top Challenges
By Eve Tahmincioglu
How should boards handle a blow up over executive compensation, a major digital disruption, or a massive cyber breach?
Directors & Boards recently convened The Directors Roundtables where top corporate board members and experts in compensation, board dynamics, and cybersecurity put their heads together to come up with strategies and best practices for some the biggest challenges facing the nation's board rooms today. The Roundtables use hypothetical board situations as launching points for in-depth discussion among participants.
Experts on hand to facilitate the discussions were James Guyton, Director, Leadership & Organizational Effectiveness, AlixPartners; Bentham W. Stradley, Managing Partner, Pay Governance; and Jeff Welgan, Executive Director and Head of Executive Training Program, CyberVista.
Here's an excerpt of the topics and a glimpse at the takeaways that came out of the rountable discussions:
Designing and Defending Executive Compensation in the Face of Economic Headwinds
via Pay Governance
- Business strategy should be the leading guide for company’s compensation-related decisions.
- Leadership and employee engagement is critical during challenging or transitional periods.
Aligning Board and CEO Decision Making
- Directors need to use several types of interactions to avoid surprises and manage shocks.
- Board culture is a function of its member composition and is shaped most by the chairman.
The Board & The Breach
- Use a dashboard to measure and monitor cyber risk.
- Know your local law enforcement agents and Attorneys General.